Tuesday, February 21, 2012

See More of your Census Citation [Tuesday’s Tip]

One of the differences I noticed when I upgraded from Family Tree Maker 2010 to Family Tree Maker 2012 is that hovering over a source citation didn’t tell me as much as it used to – at least for census citations that I had let Family Tree Maker create after the upgrade.
Before:
image
After:
clip_image002[5]

You’ll notice that the individual’s name was listed in the “before” example, but not in the “after” example.

To make things even more confusing, census citations generated in my Ancestry Member Tree and subsequently synched to Family Tree Maker showed the additional information.  What’s up with that?

This week, I finally figured it out!

Apparently the default for a certain little checkbox on the citation screen was changed between Family Tree Maker 2010 and 2012.  It used to default to Checked; now it defaults to Unchecked.
image

By checking this checkbox, I can now see the Citation Detail and the Citation Text when I hover over a citation.  This is very helpful for me.

I have issues with the lack of completeness in the auto-generated source citations from US Census records, but that’s for another day.  This is a Tip, not a Complaint.

2 comments:

  1. "Grammy's Daughter",

    I am not sure the the lack of a Check Mark is the default. My experience is that the Check Mark IS the default in FTM2012.

    The issue about the completeness of the Citation Information, at the end of a Web Merge, has been noted to the Developers at Family Tree Maker.

    You can also report this to this website:

    http://ftm.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ftm.cfg/php/enduser/ask_feedback.php

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I was just thinking about upgrading my Family Tree Maker program myself.

    Regards, Jim
    Family Tree Fun at Hidden Genealogy Nuggets

    ReplyDelete